Friday, November 26, 2010

performance: veiling



The full action consisted of:
Having an audience member hold up the strings that make up the underlying structure for my blanket;
Mimicking the the lifted strings by wrapping my face while simultaneously reciting a poem;
Having another person veil my face with a sheer piece of cloth;
and
Going inside of the tent-like structure and remaining there.

I consider this performance as a thought experiment to better help me understand the idea of inside/outside, concave/convex, and so on.. This is an idea still in progress.

The poem read:
'I thought about skin, my skin
what covers my bones
how to notice it more,
see what about it owns.

but my nature, my Self,
I've found coexists
with a layer so thin
that it begs to resist
the notion of an object
and the space it surrounds
as being distinct
from its place on the ground.'

No comments:

Post a Comment